- Police Department
- Vacation House Checks
Vacation House Checks
When you are planning to be out of town or away from your home for a period of time you can fill out our vacation house check form, enter your request online or come down to the Plainville Police Department to request a vacation house check.
The Police Department will periodically check your house and have your contact information on file in case of an emergency. Please fill out the fields below and we will process your request for vacation checks
Requesting a vacation house check does not guarantee that a burglary or other crime will not occur at your residence, and it is only intended to be a request for the Plainville Police Department to check your home periodically, based upon the availability of an officer. No vacation checks, while the homeowner is gone from the home, are guaranteed. No additional police response or protection is being guaranteed by requesting a vacation check, other than normal police services and protection which is provided to the general public. Consequently, it is recommended that you make every effort to safeguard against losses including securing of high-value property, using proper locking devices, alarm systems, etc.
Before You Leave
- Be sure to give your home the appearance of being occupied while you're away by: Putting lights, a radio and even the TV on timers.
- Arranging for your lawn to be cared for.
- Have a trusted neighbor pick up your mail and newspapers, or have delivery suspended for the duration of your time away.
- Make sure that your doors are locked. Leave a key with a trusted neighbor, friend or relative. Never hide a key on your property; criminals are good at guessing hiding spots.
- If you choose to have a neighbor care for your home while you're away, make sure they know how to contact you in case of an emergency.
- Make sure a friend or family member has your itinerary.
- Put your work address on your luggage tags.
When You Arrive at Your Destination
- Learn the phone number and address of the place you're staying.
- Know the rules. Laws and ordinances are different everywhere. This is especially important if you're traveling abroad. A hotel concierge is an excellent source for assistance and information.
- Know how to contact the local police, fire and rescue services.
- Watch out for frauds and cons. They frequent vacation spots.
- Never leave your valuables unattended.
- Don't carry large sums of cash or wear expensive jewelry.
By using the Vacation House Check form, you are holding harmless from any and all liability, the town of Plainville, and its agents and employees.