Business Certificate / Discontinuance of Business

Any person conducting a business individually or as a partnership, in the Commonwealth under any title or name other than his real name, must file a business certificate (Doing Business As, or DBA) with the town clerk of each city or town in which the business has an office. Filing a DBA does not protect your business name.

Any new business owner in Plainville applying for a business certificate for the first time must get approval from the Zoning Enforcer, Marshall Adams, before a business certificate can be issued. To contact Marshall Adams, please call 508-695-3010 X491.

The fee to file a business certificate is $35. Certificates may be filed in person at the Town Clerk's office or submitted by mail. If filing by mail, please include a self-addressed stamped envelope with the completed, notarized form and fee to the Town Clerk's Office. All persons operating the business must sign the certificate and have their signatures notarized.

Business certificates are renewable every four years.

To discontinue or make changes to your business certificate, you must file the discontinuance form with the Town Clerk.

The fee to amend or discontinue is $10.