Plainville Curbside Collection
Curbside Collection Program
- 24- Trash Program Information
- Trash Program FAQ
- [Collection Days]
- [Missed Pick-ups]
- [Holiday & Severe Weather Delays]
Trash Material Preparation
Recyclable Material Preparation
- [Recycling Collection General Information]
- [Recycling Container Requirements]
- [Recycling Proper Preparation]
- [Unacceptable Materials]
Massachusetts "Waste Bans"
To receive trash and recyclable materials collection, Plainville residents either subscribe to the municipal collection program or contract with a private hauler. The town does not have a drop-off location for trash or recyclable materials. This website describes the municipal collection program. Information on private haulers may be found in the Yellow Pages under "Rubbish Removal" or see a list of haulers licensed in the Town of Plainville.
Plainville's municipal collection program is a fully user-fee-funded "Pay-as-you-throw" program. There are no tax dollars used to support the program. Subscribers to the program pay only for the services they receive. Residents save money and protect our environment by recycling and reducing the amount of trash that they throw away.
If you have properly prepared your trash and recyclables for collection and your material was not picked up. Please call the hauler directly, EL. Harvey and Sons at 800-321-3002 to report the missed stop.
Please refer to the following pages to assure that your material was prepared properly before calling.
Holiday & Weather Delays
The following holidays will result in trash and recycling pick-up being delayed one day for the remainder of the week. If the holiday falls on a Monday, Monday's pick-up will be Tuesday, Tuesday's pick-up on Wednesday, etc. for the rest of the week. Weather delays cannot be previously announced. If material is not picked up because of severe weather on your regular scheduled day, it will be picked up the next day.
- New Year's Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
Please note the following holidays will not result in any delays: Martin Luther King Day, Presidents Day, Patriots Day, Veterans Day, Columbus Day, and Juneteenth.
Highway Garage Drop-off Center
The drop-off center will be open on the following holidays: Martin Luther King Day, Patriots Day, Columbus Day, and Juneteenth. Please note that the drop-off area will be open on Veterans Day if it falls on a Monday or Saturday. Weather delays cannot be previously announced.
To receive collection services subscribers must pay an annual or partial (6 month) collection fee.
Annual Collection Fee
Trash and recyclable materials are only collected from 1-, 2- and 3-family households that subscribe to the municipal collection program. To subscribe, residents pay an annual collection fee. Buildings with four or more units, condo complexes, and businesses contract with a private hauler. The annual fees are:
- Single-Family Homes: $410
- Two-Family Homes: $820
- Three-Family Homes: $1230
This covers the cost of collection of trash and recyclable materials from July through June. The annual fee includes weekly curbside collection of recyclables, one full 35-gallon sized trash cart(barrel), one full 64-gallon sized recycling cart (barrel) and one Recycling Center access pass.
Annual bills are mailed to every property owner of 1-, 2- and 3-family homes in May. If you wish to participate in the program, return payment to the Board of Health office. If you do not wish to participate in the program, simply disregard the bill. When payment is made, residents will receive an 8-inch by 8-inch colored sticker, which is usually placed on your recycling bins. These stickers serve as proof of payment to the drivers. When the drivers see this sticker, they quickly know that you are participating in the collection program. Each year the color of the annual sticker is changed.
Residents may also choose to pay twice per year. A $3 processing fee is added to the second invoice, which is mailed in November, for service to continue January 1st. Residents that pay the half-year fee will receive half of a sticker. When the second payment is received, they will receive the bottom half.
The annual fee is only prorated for new construction or new property owners. If a resident wishes to begin collection service mid-cycle, they will be required to pay for the entire year.
Refunds are not given. If a resident sells the property, any remaining collection fee should be settled at closing.
New Collection Carts
Each paying household will be provided a 35-gallon sized trash cart and a 64-gallon sized recycling cart. The cart will be delivered to your home. No containers other than those provided by the town will be serviced with the automated collection arm. Trash that can fit into the town provided 35-gallon cart, with the lid closed, WILL NOT require a trash sticker. The cost for disposal is included in the annual fee. All trash must be bagged. All acceptable recyclables that fit into the town provided 64-gallon sized recycling cart will be serviced with the automated collection arm. No containers other than those provided by the town will be collected. If the cart contains unacceptable recycling, it will be rejected.
Residents may dispose of their old barrels and recycling bins at the Recycling Center for free.
Overflow Trash Bag Disposal Fee
In order for overflow trash to be collected, each 30- to 35-gallon size bag of trash must have a $1.50 pink trash sticker affixed to it. Residents purchase their own bags and buy the trash stickers to put on the bags.
Bulky Item Fee
Any non-metal, household item too large to fit in the 35-gallon trash cart or overflow bag is considered bulky waste (does not include mattresses and box springs and some other exceptions may apply). You must call E. L. Harvey & Sons at 800-321-3002 to schedule and pay them directly for collection. Special waste stickers will no longer be required for bulky items. The cost for collection is:
- $25.00 per item that is 4’ x 4’ or smaller and 50 lbs. or less that can be handled by one person.
- $50.00 per item that is over 4’ x 4’ and 75 lbs. or less and can be handled by one person.
- For extra-large items call E.L. Harvey for pricing.
Mattresses & Box Springs
You must call a mattresses & box spring recycler to schedule and pay them directly for collection. E.L. Harvey will take them for a fee but there may be more cost-effective options. Please visit the Trash & Recycling website for additional information.
Trash Sticker Outlets
Stickers for bags and "Special Waste" are available from Town Hall, Board of Health office and the following Retail outlets in town. There is no additional disposal fee for recyclable materials collected curbside.
- Ava's Market - 80 Taunton Street
- Cumberland Farms - 139 South Street
- Hilltop Stop - 56 Washington Street
- Mobil Mart - 11 Taunton Street (corner of Routes 152 and 106)
- South Liquor Mart - 431 South Street
- Stop and Shop - Taunton Street
- Town Hall, Board of Health - 190 South Street (cash only) Trash Stickers are no longer available through the mail.
Trash Material Preparation
All material must be curbside by 7 am on your regularly scheduled collection day. Trash and recyclables are collected on the same day
Overflow Bag Preparation
- Each 30- to 35-gallon size bag must have a $1.50 trash sticker attached to the top of each bag.
- Bags must be 35 pounds maximum.
- Trash stickers should be placed around the neck of the bag, clearly visible to the driver, with the ends stuck to each other.
- Residents may put out as many tagged overflow bags as needed.
- Bagged and tagged trash may be placed in trash barrels to protect it from wildlife. Bags must be easy to pull out of the barrel. The trash barrel must not exceed a 35-gallon size.
- Residents may use smaller size bags if they wish however to save money: white 13- to 17-gallon size kitchen bags should be placed in the larger 30- to 35-gallon size.
- Ripped bags will not be collected.
- Bags weighing over 35 pounds will not be collected.
- Bags put curbside after 7 am will not be collected.
- Bags that do not easily remove from a barrel will not be collected.
- Loose items will not be collected.
- Trash stickers that have been tampered with will be unacceptable.
Unacceptable Bulky Items
- Metal items (appliances, gas grills, bikes, lawnmowers, etc.) - Accepted at the Recycling Center
- Glass and mirrors. Glass and mirrors if completely enclosed in cardboard and marked glass may be acceptable. It is up to the driver's discretion if it is safely prepared to prevent shattering during loading.
- TVs and Computers - Accepted at the Recycling Center
- Hazardous Materials - See management options
- Yard Waste - Accepted at the Recycling Center
- Asphalt, concrete, bricks, etc.
- Large amounts of construction debris
- Tires - Accepted at the Recycling Center
- Wood or carpet longer than 4 feet
- Materials placed curbside after 7 am
- Excessively heavy items (there is only one person per truck)
Materials Not Collected at the Curb
The following items are not collected at the curb but may be dropped off at the Recycling Center at the Highway Garage:
- Metal items
- TVs and Computers
- Yard Waste
- Propane Tanks
- Fluorescent Bulbs
- Cardboard that does not fit into the town provided 64-gallon recycling cart.
- Textiles and clothing
Household Hazardous waste may not be dropped off at the Recycling Center. Household Hazardous Waste Drop-Off is scheduled once per year, usually in the Spring.
Recyclable Material Preparation
All paper, cardboard, glass, plastic and metal bottles, cans, jars and jugs may be placed in the same container. You do not have to separate paper and cardboard from co-mingled (glass, plastic and metal). Only the material listed as acceptable recyclables will be collected curbside. All other items must be disposed of as trash or recycling in other ways.
Please help to keep cost down and only recycle acceptable materials and avoid contamination.
Recycling Collection General Information
- All acceptable recyclables must be placed in the town provided 64-gallon recycling cart. No other overflow recycling containers will be collected.
- All material must be curbside by 7 am on your regularly scheduled collection day.
- Recyclables and trash are collected on the same day at the same time with a co-collection vehicle.
|What To Recycle||How to Prepare||Unacceptable|
| || NO SHREDDED PAPER|
|Corrugated cardboard||Cardboard must be flattened |
Cardboard must be no larger than 2' X 2'
|Glass - BOTTLES & JARS ONLY|
|Metal Cans - Aluminum & Metal food and beverage cans, lids|
- All material that is listed in the above charts as unacceptable (except for items that have drop-off available) should be disposed of as trash
- Items for which drop-off is available should be brought to the Recycling Center at the Highway Garage.